The BC Fly Fishers (BCFF) will be holding its 3rd Annual Fly Casting Clinic on Saturday, June 17, from 9 am to 1 pm. The chapter includes casting instruction as a critical part of its teaching program, just like its parent organization, Fly Fishers International (FFI), known for its Casting Instructor Certification Program (CICP) – a highly esteemed credential for any angler.
The BCFF chapter conducted its first casting clinic in June of 2015. Well attended, the event took roots and a second casting clinic was held the following year.
This third clinic will be even better than the previous two and will include:
- Beginner casting instruction (pick up and lay down, false casting)
- Intermediate to advanced casting instruction (double hauling, wiggle cast, curve casting, roll casting)
- Casting games including accuracy casting. The top three accuracy casters will get a prize.
- Knot tying.
- Video recording of your casting stroke for review and critique (please bring a memory stick for download or a phone or camcorder).
- Two certified FFI casting instructors on hand along with several other very good casters to support casting practice.
- Catch & release fly fishing for bass and sunfish after the casting clinic (barbless hooks only).
This clinic is perfect for any angler – as a tune-up for casting as well as for someone who has yet to put a fly rod in their hands. It’s also a great event for youth. With Father’s Day just around the corner, what better way to spend a few hours than for a father and son or daughter (or family) to learn to cast?
What to prepare, what to bring?
- Wear casual, relaxed clothing. A casting shirt that is open and free moving is ideal.
- Fly rod outfit – participants are encouraged to bring their own fly casting outfit but full fly casting setups are also available for use.
- Clean and stretch your fly line, stretch your leader
The cost of the clinic is the same as last year: $20 for adults, $15 for youth and college students. Interested? Sign up using PayPal at BCFLYFISHERS or by check or cash to BC Flyfishers (mail to John Trainor, 144 West Hill Rd., Vestal, NY 13850).
Rain date for the event is Saturday, June 24. The location is the same as in the past two years: 144 West Hill Road, Vestal, NY. To get there, take Rt. 26 South, turn right in Vestal Center onto West Hill Road – just after Powersports X. It’s a long hill to the top – turn left onto a dirt driveway opposite a RED mailbox on right hand side of road labeled 144.